Saturday, August 30, 2008

Update on Us...

Things around here have been a little hectic lately. I was slowly getting my classroom ready for the school year to start and feeling pretty good about having everything under control. That was a short lived feeling. The weekend before school started Gail was in a horse accident with a barb-wire fence. It was pretty disturbing to watch. The horse got spooked and took off along the fence. Gail got tipped to the side of the saddle where he was up against the fence unable to fall off until the horse moved away. He finally hit a steel post (the severely cut open his arm pit) and fell off. He was taken to the Kirksville hospital by ambulance where a surgeon stitched him up. He has been off work ever since and I've been playing nurse every night with the help of his mother. Currently the stitches are out, he is still off work, and goes to a physical therapist evaluation and occupational evaluation this coming week to see if he needs therapy and what limitations he will have when he does return to work.

Lydia is doing good at the sitters. She loves going there. However, she is has been letting her temper show. She had her first "time out" this past week. Apparently she got upset because the sitter put her down with her bottle so she could go and feed the baby that goes there. Lydia laid on the floor and kicked and screamed for like 20 minutes. Tina finally got her up and put her in the play pen for a few minutes until she calmed down. I totally blame this on myself. I always hold Lydia when she takes her bottle. I guess I'm going to have to change how I do things she it will be easier on Lydia at the sitters.

We also got our cows moved home today. They have been at some pasture ground that we rented this year. It was an ordeal getting them home. Since Gail can't really use his arm we have to rely on our family to help us. My dad and brother-in-law came over Wednesday to set up coral gates. Today it took my brother, sister-in-law, Gail's two brothers, Gail, and myself to get the cows drove into the coral and 4 trips in the stock trailer to get them all home. Then Gail's brothers, Gail, and I went back over and took down the coral gates, loaded them into the stock trailer, brought ours home, and took my dad's back to his house. When we took dad's back I noticed an air leak in one of the trailer tires. So on top of all of the I had to help Gail change the tire because, of course, he can't use his arm very well.

Oh, and today my neighbor who has all sorts of pets (dog kennel, cattle, reindeer, elk, buffalo, and camels) had an elk on the loose. I was a little afraid I was going to have a run in with the large animal.

Until next time...

No comments: