Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Potty Queen...

That is what my daughter is right now. I decided to get her a potty last summer right after Lydia turned one. Whenever I sat her on it she would go. She would also still go in her diaper, but we were making progress. I didn't put much faith that she was going to be potty trained at one, but I was excited that she would get the concept of going on the potty and not be afraid like some children are. Hayden went for four days withing taking a poo because he was afraid of the potty. Claudia would hide in her closet or under the table to go because..., well she's just Claudia. She's a strong headed, does whatever she wants to, little curly red head. Lydia didn't seem to be like that. When she would go we would jump up and down singing "Pee pee in the potty, pee pee in the potty" and clap. She even clasp for other people. At high school graduation I took her to the bathroom me and when I stood up off the toilet she got a big grin on her face said "MOMMY!!" and clapped for me. My baby sitter also does a wonderful job at helping with the potty. Lydia is to the stage now where she normally uses the potty, but still wears her diaper. Sometimes she'll wear the same diaper all day because she doesn't have accidents. Of a night she wears a pull up, but some mornings she's still dry. When she has to go potty she'll pull at the front of her pants and make a fussing sound. You ask her if she has to use the potty and she'll take off running towards the bathroom. If she doesn't have to go she'll tell you no. The child also HATES poop. Hates to see it, smell it, or even talk about it. When she does poop she goes, "Pooooop yuck. Gross. Poop gross." My niece Ashley taught her that. It is cute when she says it. I bought her big girl panties last month (the smallest big girl panties I could find were 2T/3T so they're a little too big). Of course as soon as they were washed I put a pair on to see how they fit and her little butt looked so cute!!! On Sunday I started putting them on her when we are at home. She wore them for two hours the first time with no problems. Last night I put them on her again for about three hours. When I got home at 5:30 she said she had to go potty so I took her and put the panties on her. After supper at 6:30 I asked her if she needed to go potty and she went. Later at 8:30 when it was time for her bath she was still dry as a bone. My plan (and we all know how well plans go) is to have her potty trained by the end of the summer. Wish me luck!!!

5 comments:

Corin said...

Good Luck. Please give us updates. I'm starting the process with Levi and have no idea what I'm doing. Somedays he wants to go on the potty and runs in there, somedays he screams no and won't go on the potty at all.

Bree Shaw said...

that is aswesome! so glad she is interested and hopefully it will be a breeze.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

sounds like she's off to a running start! enjoy the cut in the diaper budget...must mean its time for another one! :)

Andrea Frederick said...

you've got a good start, keep it up! and good luck!

Nicole said...

Good luck!!!!! I'm glad she's doing a great job and I hope she keeps it up for you!!!! Such a big girl!