Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How Many Times...

I'll start out this blog by giving you the background of the first time...

On June 8, 2007 I was eight months pregnant and it was my birthday. Birthdays are supposed to be wonderful and relaxing from start to finish. This particular was far FAR from relaxing. My day started out waking up to get ready for summer school by first letting the dogs out. When I woke up I discovered that our German Shepherd (Annie) had dug in my potted plant - in my dining room!! There was dirt all over my light covered carpet. I was not very happy. I took Annie outside and hooked her up. Charlie (yellow lab mix) was still inside. When I took Annie out the door shut behind me. I had forgotten that we had put new locks on the doors that when locked you could get out, but not get back in. I ran around the house trying to find a way in the house, but couldn't get in. I should also tell that I typically just sleep in a t-shirt and underware during the summer months. As a review I was eight months pregnant, wearing a t-shirt and underware, locked out of my house, and Charlie was still inside. I tried all of the vehicles thinking maybe there were spare keys for either the door or the vehicles. No door keys were found, but I did from some "vehicle" keys. My options were a tractor and the lawnmower. I have no idea how to start the tractor so that left my the lawnmower. I also found an old beach towel in the garage that looked like it had been ran through the shredder. So I wrapped the "towel" around me, hopped on the mower, and took off towards my mother-in-laws house about a half mile down the road who had a spare key. As I neared her house I saw that she wasn't there. I went to my brother-in-laws house who had a BIG laugh at my expense, but I knew it was coming. After picking himself off the floor and his wife Tammy getting me a pair of shorts he took me to get the spare key from my MIL's house. All of this took about 30 minutes. When I was able to get back inside of my house poor Charlie was still in there and had made use of the dirt all over the floor!! It was the worst start to a day I'd ever had. After all of this you think I'd learn the lesson about the door locks. Well, no. This morning as I was letting one of our dogs back inside the house Lydia shut the door. I should have known it was coming because she always is shutting and opening the doors. She was in the middle of the kitchen and I didn't think she'd get to the door that fast. Of course this time she wouldn't open the door for me. So I was locked out again. Both dogs had been out, but my 22 month old was still inside. We did, however, learn from the lawnmower experience and do have a key hidden outside so I was able to get back in. When will I ever learn to UNLOCK THE DOOR!!!

Until next time...

3 comments:

Corin said...

I'm sorry that you locked yourself out, but that story was hillarious. Thank you so much for sharing brightened my day.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I'm still rolling from the part about the underwear and the lawnmower...I can't even process the rest!

Bree Shaw said...

oh diane, you are so funny! i am laughing with you, not at you:)