Thursday, May 28, 2009

What's Going On...

Not much is going on here. This is my week of vacation before summer school starts next week. I've been cleaning, playing, and planning parties. I wanted to make the birthday cake(s) for Claudia's birthday. She wants one of those Barbi doll cakes with the cake skirt. I searched and searched the Internet and never did find one that I liked so I decided to combine several ideas along with my own. On Tuesday I made the little flowers for her dress - 1232 little flowers to be exact. I'll show you pictures later when I go to finish the cake. I've decided that cake decoration is my new found hobby. I love to find cakes on the Internet and try to recreate them. That is how I got Lydia's cake last year. Here is a picture of it...


All of the little shapes are cut out of fondant. I can't stand the taste of the stuff, but It makes really good decorations for cakes.


This was Lydia's little personal cake.

I also make Gail's birthday cake this year. Normally I just bake a basic cake and don't put much thought into it.

Chocolate cake mix.

Pure white frosting.

Covered in colored sprinkles. It was yummy!!

My next post will be Claudia's cake - if it turns out. Until next time...

4 comments:

Corin said...

I'm amazed at your cakes for Lydia. They look professional. I wish I could do that. Any interest in making a Carnival themed cake for Levi's birthday.

Bree Shaw said...

great job! i can't wait to see the pictures of this years cake. i think you need to make a pink dice cake for bunco sometime:)

Diane Melvin said...

Corin - Check this cake out (http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-circus-tent-birthday-cake.html) it doesn't look that hard. Bree - I totally planned on making that for my day in June. It is going to be cute.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

my little sister, Lauren, did a Barbie cake for Emma a couple years ago--where the cake is the dress & the whole deal. let me know if you get stuck--I can't help you but she can!