Friday, April 30, 2010

Pick Your Battles...

Lydia is to the stage where she tries to be very independent in everything she does. She wants to brush her own teeth (I let her start and then I take over), put her shoes away, pick up her toys (sometimes), open and shut the door, and several other things. Many of these I'm very thrilled about. However, she also is starting to want to wear certain things. If I get out a dress she wants a skirt. I get out flip flops and she wants tennis shoes. Even her under ware has to be what she wants. Over the past couple of weeks I've fought her on things like this because of the crazy weather. Yesterday morning, I gave up. I had out capris, a t-shirt and flip flops. She wanted to wear her Aerial jammies with rain boots. It then occurred to me that who really cares what she wears. The only people that see her are the people at Casey's in the morning. So, she wore her jammies and we put her clothing in a purse. I did fight the rain boots because it was supposed to be warm and her feet would get all sweaty. She looked so funny walking out of the house. I wished I had taken a picture (I may have to stage it). So, I'm slowly learning to give up control of things that really don't matter and letting her be independent.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You just wait. It gets ten times worse as they get older.