Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cancer Sucks!!!

Everyone knows that cancer sucks. That is nothing new. With the Scotland County Relay for Life coming up with weekend, I've been thinking more and more about it. I'm going to share with you how cancer has effected my life.

1) My Grandma Franklin had breast cancer and is a 22 year survivor - YEAH!
2) My Great Aunt Mary (grandma's sister) also had breast cancer and has survived - YEAH!
3) In the spring of 2007 my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She has also survived - YEAH!!!

With all of these strong women in my family having breast cancer, I think my chances of getting it are pretty good.

I can't imagine having to hear that you have that dreaded "C" word. After seeing all that my mother had to go through and is still dealing with I don't know what I would do. She's had surgery, surgery again, chemo, a mastectomy, chemo yet again, lost her hair, and that is just the physical things. Emotionally is has been a wreck. My mother is a lover of all kinds of clothing. For the rest of her life she has to be careful of what tops she wears. She has to have lymphodemia (spelling??) therapy (1 hour) everyday for the rest of her life!!! Her right arm is constantly swollen. I mean swollen to the point that at times she can hardly get herself dresses, fix her hair, put on make-up, or even eat. All of this from having to hear that she had the dreaded "C" word. However, the alternative would be worse - death.

To me, my mom has moved to the top of my hero list. She is one of the lucky survivors of the disease that has killed so many others. Each time I think of my mom going through what she has, always having a smile on her face, continuing to be a wonderful mother and friend - I just get teary eyed. My mother is truly a hero!!!

Once again - CANCER SUCK!!!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sucks indeed.

Hugs hugs hugs.