Thursday, November 6, 2008

Strange Feelings

I'm going to blog about something that I will probably later regret and delete. I have an empty feeling inside where I wish I had some girlfriends. I love my husband and we have a great friendship. My daughter is my world. I work with creative women whom I love to have conversations with. However, I long to have a true best friend or group of friends (besides my sister) to do things with and hang out. In high school and college I had a lot of friends to do things with. However, I moved to a new town where I didn't know that many people and I still don't feel like I fit in. It's been almost 8 years that I've lived in Lancaster and I know a lot of people, but not to the point or level I would like to. The church I'm a member of doesn't have a lot of young women like myself that I feel comfortable around so I get no friendship there. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for listening.

Until next time...

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't think you're feeling sorry for yourself at all. You are feeling a true, real feeling and talking about it.

I don't want to sound trite but I have felt the exact same way. I do know that you are a lovely person with a lot to offer a friendship. Keep putting yourself out there and it will come to you.

Andrea Frederick said...

Diane, that stinks. I would love to get to know you better. We'll have to make a point to get together AFTER my house if finished!

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

i totally understand...when i truly reflect, I realize that my friends are mostly my sister & HER friends that i've just latched on to...(poor andrea). we've just moved back to lancaster...maybe we need to have a 'girls who need to get to know each other' night...
you do have to admit, though...there's no friend quite like a sister...so we're both lucky we have those!

Erin said...

I have to say that if it wasn't for working at the school in Queen City last year and Trenton having such an extremely huge family (Andrea, Jenn, etc..) I would be in the same boat. I've made all my good friends through those initial connections. I do remember sitting on the bed crying to my husband (I know, somewhat sad) last summer after we moved to Lancaster b/c I only had my sister...we really should get a group started or something. I think it's neat to reconnect, especially b/c Trenton & Gail were such good friends and you & I knew each other through band and stuff when I was still at Scotland.

Bree Shaw said...

i completely understand what you are saying. when i moved here in 1998 it took me several years to "get friends". it was very hard. jared had his friends but they were his drinking buddies and they all seemed to have different women every time you turned around, so i didn't get any friendships there. and he worked out of town so i had the kids all by myself all week so i didn't do anything but hang with them. but once jared started at tri-county and got into a different group of people it made a world of difference. now i feel like i have true friends here and it has been 10 years! i would love to get to know you better too. so like the other girls said lets make a date for it! if we ever start scrappin you will have to join our "cult" :)sorry it took me son long to finally read your post. better late than never though:)